Monday 6 October 2008

Scouting For Girls Interview - Fresh Advice



After their exuberant and Ball pleasing performance at The Ice Arena for our graduates, Platform music caught up with Scouting For Girls to discuss Nottingham, the past, the present, and being a fresher…

What are your impressions of Nottingham?

We love Nottingham. We’ve played here four or five times now. We’ve played The Attic, the very sweaty Rescue Rooms and the big one, Rock City and this place (the Arena). We’re playing here in November. The First time I ever came to Nottingham I got really excited about the nurse’s college combined with that whole 3:1 woman to man ratio. We think all these women are gorgeous. As soon as we’ve finished here, we’re going to go and hit on some in your ball.

Your songs tend to have an anthemic nature to the choruses. Is this always intentional?


Na, it just kind of happens that way. All the songs on the album were written for a bunch of our mates who used to come down to the pub and listen to us on a Friday night, and you know, have a laugh and forget all of their woes. So it to become quite so popular is just incredible.

What would you say your career highlight is so far?

Nottingham Trent Grad Ball! I’d rather be a poly than a c***! T.R.E.N.T. we are the Trent Army! And you can’t beat girls in dresses.


How would you say being childhood friends effects you as a band?

It makes life so much easier. I couldn’t imagine having to do this with two people that I’d only known for a couple of years. It’s like being in a band with your family. We can’t get divorced from each other, we just put up with each other and have a really wicked time. 80% of the time we have the most amazing experience, the other 20% we’re asleep. This band are all tight knit friends; even all of our crew were hired, not based on ability, but on how much we like them.

How would you describe your experience of higher education?

I had a wicked time at Uni. I did choose my degree on the basis that I was in a band and trying to get a record deal so I chose English, because it’s only eight hours a week. I made so many friends, I’d recommend University to anyone.

What’s your advice to those starting University?

Wear a condom. Don’t worry about anything too much. Just have a good time. Everybody gets ‘freshers’ flu’. It’s alright if you spend your student loan in 3 days. I bought a new guitar, a phat effects pedal, I spent the lot. Some absolute bastard fixed me up with a credit card as well. He was like “get this credit card, because you get £50 as a student”, I thought that would be nice, but my limit was £1000, and by Christmas I’d maxed it out, and I didn’t pay it back ‘til about a year ago. So whatever you do, don’t get a credit card. Spend a few quid of your loan on a Scouting For Girl’s ticket maybe? Your first year doesn’t count. Drink a lot.

Andy Trendell

No comments: