Tuesday 28 April 2009

INTERVIEW: TAH MAC




You’ve been described as ‘Lupe meets Eminem’. How accurate would you say this comparison is and how would you describe your sound?

It’s an honour to be compared to those two gentlemen. My sound is a global sound. You know, it’s not tailored to one specific audience, you know, my music can touch anyone from 8 years old to 80. It’s a new global project that’s tailored for everyone; it’s tailored to be bigger than hip hop.

You have quite a diverse range of influences. How would you say this is reflected in your music?

Well I was growing up with everything from Jimi Hendrix to Aretha Franklin to Kiss you know so I absorbed all of those different genres. Plus I’ve been travelling everywhere before this record from New York, to Paris, to London and LA so with all of that and all of the different genres I’ve just embraced so many styles to create a big melting pot of sounds”

How would you say that being a music producer effects the way you write music?

Wouldn’t say it’s effected the way I write music as such, but I would say that you just know how deliver and record all of the sounds you want. It doesn’t really effect your delivery or how a song should be you just know more about instrumentation and how to get the perfect drum sound or horn sound or guitar or bass or whatever.

How does it feel to have already been so well received by British club goers?


It’s been really great, really amazing. Its always the best that it’s the smaller territories where I’m so well received. Certain smaller territories in UK like Derby or Leeds etc where they aren’t really spoilt for choice they can just appreciate you from top to bottom. So yeah, I’ve loved being so big in those U.K. clubs.




Your list of collaborations and such is pretty impressive. How did this come about and what would you say it donates to the Tah Mac sound?


It gives my sound a lot more diversity. It came about from being a producer and from working with gentlemen like Tony De Niro, DJ Lethal and Troy Wimbley. I was working on a record featuring Aretha Franklin and I thought I needed a smash follow up to take it somewhere else. About a year and a half ago I had a song for Mutya Bueno. It was offered to Mary J Blige and legends like that but then Mutya Bueno came in and gave it a crack and she just nailed it. So yeah, it’s just been amazing to get such talented friends in a room, put them together and see what happens.

If ‘Tahland’ was a real place, what would it be like?


It would be a place of love, life and reality and a whole lot of sunshine. It could be anywhere on earth as long as there’s love and sunshine.

What does the future hold for Tah Mac?

I be touring the UK and Europe. I got a new record coming out. I’ll be working with Tilah Tequila and Tony De Niro. Just touring, touring, touring. Touching different people’s lives in different ways. I’ve got a University tour coming up, that should be a whole lot of fun.

Interview By Andy Trendell

No comments: